PARIRENYATWA GROUP OF HOSPITALS
Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals is the largest medical centre in Zimbabwe. The hospital was formerly known as the Andrew Fleming Hospital, named after the principal medical officer to the British South Africa Company.
Following Zimbabwe’s independence in 1980, the hospital was renamed in honour of veteran nationalist Tichafa Samuel Parirenyatwa.
Dr Tichafa Samuel Parirenyatwa was the first black Zimbabwean to qualify as a doctor of medicine in Rhodesia. Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals started as a small hospital in 1890 serving the colonial settlers.
From 1890 onwards, small satellite health facilities were established within this complex. By 1963 this Group of Hospitals included Salisbury Central Hospital, Princess Margaret Hospital, Lady Chancellor Maternity Hospital, the Orthopaedic Centre and the African Outpatient Clinic. By 1974 the Andrew Fleming Hospital was commissioned and when this Group of Hospitals was renamed Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals after independence, the health facilities in this complex had names changed to reflect the new postcolonial order.
To date Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals has become the largest and most sophisticated hospital complex in the country with a capacity of one thousand eight hundred (1800) beds and a work force in excess of two thousand (2000) staff.
- The Parirenyatwa Group Of Hospitals is made up of:
- The Main Complex
- Mbuya Nehanda Maternity Home
- Sekuru Kaguvi Eye Hospital
- Annexe Psychiatric Unit
Mr Noah Madziva, a Consultant Surgeon, is the hospital’s Clinical-Director.
He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org | Twitter @dr_madziva